Ontario supports Super-Pufft Snacks in Mississauga
Province investing in agri-food innovation and growth to help Super-Pufft double production capacity and expand its global reach.
December 2, 2015
by Canadian Packaging staff
Ontario is investing in a major Mississauga food manufacturer to create sustainable jobs, expand export opportunities, and strengthen the province’s food and beverage processing sector.
The province is investing $1-million through the Jobs and Prosperity Fund – Food and Beverage Growth Fund as administered by the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs to help the Super-Pufft Snack Corporation purchase and install a new canister crisp line. Super-Pufft will invest almost $9 million in the new line.
The investment will allow the company to double its production capacity and capitalize on new export opportunities – with 90 per cent of sales of the new products destined for export markets.
In existence for over 60 years, The Super-Pufft Snack Corporation located in Mississauga, Ont. exports snack canisters to more than 30 countries – including Belgium, Mongolia and Israel.
The project will increase the company’s productivity and improve their competitiveness. The funds are expected to create 34 new jobs while retaining 304 current jobs in Ontario.
Supporting a strong and innovative agri-food industry is part of the government’s economic plan for Ontario. The four-part plan includes investing in people’s talents and skills, making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario’s history, creating a dynamic, innovative environment where business thrives, and building a secure retirement savings plan.
- The Jobs and Prosperity Fund is providing $2.7 billion over 10 years to enhance productivity, bolster innovation and grow Ontario’s exports;
- As part of the Jobs and Prosperity Fund, the Food and Beverage Growth Fund supports food, beverage and bioproduct manufacturing projects that help create and retain jobs, increase domestic and export market access, and enhance innovation and productivity;
- Ontario’s agri-food sector supports more than 781,000 jobs and contributes more than $35 billion towards the province’s GDP;
- Ontario is home to Canada’s largest food processing sector, accounting for 3,300 businesses that employ over 95,000 people across the province;
- In 2014, Ontario agri-food exports brought in $12.5 billion;
- In 2014, Super-Pufft Snack Corp. won the Ontario Food Exporter Award.
Company information can be found at www.superpufft.com.