Canada’s Most Innovative New Grocery Products Selected As Finalists
Retail Council of Canada announces 22nd Annual Canadian Grand Prix New Product Awards short list.
April 9, 2015
by Canadian Packaging staff
Toronto, ON.—Retail Council of Canada (RCC) has announced the finalists for the 22nd Annual Canadian Grand Prix New Product Awards.
This prestigious awards program celebrates the best new products in food, non-food and private-label categories, as selected by a 30-member jury. Winners will be announced at the Gala on June 3, 2015 at the Toronto Congress Centre, as part of RCC’s STORE 2015 Conference.
“Our finalists represent the very best in product development, design and brand management,” says RCC president and chief executive officer Diane J. Brisebois. “We are proud to recognize the teams and brands behind these outstanding new products and new this year, we’ve put a greater focus on innovation when evaluating products, as it’s an important aspect to both consumers and merchants.”
The expert panel judging the awards is comprised of consumers, food journalists, packaging designers, and grocery industry R&D and marketing personnel. Through a rigorous judging process, the jury grades each entry on five criteria: uniqueness and innovation, product characteristics, presentation and packaging, overall consumer value, and consumer acceptance (household penetration rate of a product). This year, the evaluation of the judging process was more transparent than ever; juror feedback was provided directly to all participants.
Longtime jury chair Marcus Von Albrecht says there was an emphasis on all-natural and fresh products in the food category submissions. He also noted a number of food submissions were geared towards elevated entertaining without the elevated price tag. “These high-quality products allow consumers to create an elegant, unique menu to impress their guests, without spending a fortune on expensive ingredients.”
On the non-food side, he noticed a theme of nostalgia in the submissions. “These products harkened back to consumers’ childhood, tugging at their heartstrings with a vintage quality. Updated packaging and modernized upgrades keep the products relevant while maintaining the familiarity of the product.”
For their test kitchen, the jury evaluated the Food and Private Label products in March at the Institut de tourisme et d’hôtellerie du Québec (ITHQ) in Montreal. Judges assessed the non-food products in their own homes over six weeks.
This year, after rigorous testing, 91 products became finalists by reaching specific minimum criteria. Additional details on the criteria are found here: http://www.storeconference.ca/canadian-grand-prix-new-product-awards/judging. To make the judging as impartial as possible, the panel assessed the taste, nutritional value and price of food products “blind”, before they saw the packaging and the manufacturer’s name.
To view the complete list of finalists, visit: http://www.storeconference.ca/canadian-grand-prix-new-product-awards/finalists.
This year’s Canadian Grand Prix New Product Awards was open to manufacturers and distributors of all sizes, for products introduced during the 2014 calendar year. The finalists and winners can use the award logo on their packaging for two years.
2014 Finalists (alphabetical order)
A. LASSONDE INC.
- Oasis Smoothie Greek Yogurt
- Natrel Partly Skimmed Maple Milk
BURNBRAE FARMS LIMITED
- Burnbrae Farms Nanny Hudson’s Homestyle Ketchup
CANADA BREAD COMPANY, LIMITED
- Dempster’s 100% Whole Grains Signature Blends
DARE FOODS LIMITED
- Breton Bean Crackers (Gluten-free)
- Dare Cookie Chips
FERRERO CANADA LTD.
- Nutella & Go
GAY LEA FOODS CO-OPERATIVE LTD.
- Gay Lee Real Coconut Whipped Cream
HAIN CELESTIAL CANADA
- Europe’s Best Fruit Cups
- Greek Gods Honey Salted Caramel Yogurt
HAPPY PLANET FOODS, INC.
- Happy Planet Fresh Soup
HIGH LINER FOODS INC.
- High Liner Simply Fish
INDUSTRIE GASTRONOMIQUE CASCAJARES
- Porchetta Festive Box
- Mr. Freeze ElectroICE Sport
- Kraft Peanut Butter – Holiday Cookie Kit
- Limited Edition – Kraft Peanut Butter Plush Bear + 500g Smooth Peanut Butter
MARS CANADA INC.
- M&M’S Bottles
- Snickers Bites
- Club House Extract
- Club House Skillet Sauce
- Belle Grove Mushrooms
NATURALLY HOMEGROWN FOODS LTD.
- Hardbite Chips
- Organic Nordic Milk
OLYMPIC DAIRY PRODUCTS INC.
- Chia Yogurt
- Astro Original
- Black Diamond Cheese Spread
- Président Feta Cheese Crumbled
- PRÉSIDENT Spreadable
SCOTSBURN DAIRY GROUP
- Scotsburn Premium Inclusion Ice Cream Bars
SOFINA FOODS INC.
- Deli Naturally!
TREE OF LIFE CANADA VLC
- Keebler Mini Graham Cracker Pie Crust
- MADD Virgin Craft Brewed Lager
ULTIMA FOODS INC.
- iögo Moment
VEG PRO INTERNATIONAL INC.
- Asian-Style Stir Fries
WESTON BAKERIES LIMITED
- Country Harvest
- D’Italiano Bagelli
BABY GOURMET FOODS LTD
- Baby Gourmet Plus
BERNARDIN LTD [JARDEN BRANDED CONSUMABLES CANADA]
- Bernardin Frozen Herb Starter Tray
- Bernardin Sip & Straw Lids
- Vintage Collection Green Jar Pint by Bernardin
- Solo Premium Strength Plates
DLM FOODS CANADA CORP.
- Milk-Bone Brushing Chews
- King’s Crown Ultra-Rich Shaving Cream
PROCTER & GAMBLE INC.
- Always Discreet
- Crest 3D White Luxe Whitestrips Supreme Flexfit
- Crest Sensi-Relief Whitening + Scope
- Charmin Basics
- Febreze First Defense Allergen Reducer
- Full Lash Bloom by lashblast mascara
- Gain Flings Original
- Gillette Fusion ProGlide with FlexBall Technology
- Herbal Essence Naked Volume Collection
- Mr. Clean Liquid Muscle
- Olay Regenerist LuminousMC Tone Perfecting Treatment
- Tampax Pearl Active
S. C. JOHNSON AND SON, LIMITED
- Scrubbing Bubbles Mega Shower Foamer with Ultra Cling – Rain Shower
- Windex Electronics Wipe& Go Wipe
THE CLOROX COMPANY OF CANADA, LTD.
- LIQUID-PLUMR – Hair Clog Eliminator
- PINE-SOL Multi-Surface Cleaner, Mandarin Sunrise
- KitchenAid Produce Preserver
FEDERATED CO-OPERATIVES LIMITED
- Co-Op Gold Cookies
- Co-Op Gold Trail Mix
- Longo’s Signature Keylime Cheesecake
- Longo’s Signature Fully Cooked Pulled Pork
METRO BRANDS, G.P.
- Irresistibles Cream Cheese and Greek Yogourt Spread
- Irresistibles Dish soap
- Irresistibles Flatbread
- Irresistibles Gourmet Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Irresistible Greek yogourt cheesecake
- Irresistibles Herbal Tea
- Irresistibles La Collezione
- Irresistibles Life Smart Bread
- Irresistibles Life Smart Juice Blend
- Irresistibles Quinoa
- Vetdiet – Care
- Vetdiet Dental Care
- Compliments Balance Fruit & Vegetable Bars
- Compliments Gluten Free Breads
- Compliments presents Jamie Oliver Condiments
- Compliments presents Jamie Oliver Sausages
- Flattened Chicken
- Great Value Paper Towels – Strong and Absorbent (Family Size)
- Our Finest Angus Beef Meatballs
- Our Finest Luscious Lemon Cookies
- Our Finest Luscious Lemon Pie Ice Cream
- Our Finest Mini Croissants
- Parent’s Choice Infant Formula (For babies sensitive to lactose)
Retail Council of Canada (RCC) is the Voice of Retail in Canada representing more than 45,000 store fronts of all retail formats, including department, specialty, discount, and independent stores, and online merchants in general merchandise, grocery and drugs. Its membership represents over 75% of all retail sales in Canada. RCC is a strong advocate for retailing in Canada and works with all levels of government and other stakeholders to support employment growth and career opportunities in retail, to promote and sustain retail investments in communities from coast-to-coast, and to enhance consumer choice and industry competitiveness. RCC also provides its members with a full range of services and programs including education and training, benchmarking and best practices, networking, advocacy, and industry information. For more information, visit www.retailcouncil.org.