SIAL CANADA unveils 2016 Innovation Grand Prize
Congratulations to Essence Desserts Assorted Chocolates.
April 14, 2016
by Canadian Packaging staff
MONTREAL— The assorted chocolates with sorbet and ice cream centers by Essence Glacier, Canada – booth #823 were awarded the SIAL Innovation 2016 Grand Prize.
SIAL Canada 2016 is running April 13-15, 2016 in Montreal.
As part of the prize to Essence Desserts, Canada, the SIAL Innovation contest will provide support valued at $135,000 to winners:
- Nielsen will provide a project worth $50,000 to winners to help them get their product to market.
- The SIAL Network will provide an exhibition space for free at all of the SIALs, including Paris.
- The grand prize winner, will travel around the globe as they visit all of the SIAL network’s shows, which will be held in Canada, China, the Philippines, Indonesia, Paris and Abu Dhabi.
SIAL Innovation is the only international contest with a presence in the four corners of the world. Made up of food professionals and presided over by Xavier Terlet and the XTC World Innovation firm, the jury is made up of 10 finalists (refer to the list below for the 2016 results) and will hand out one Grand Prize. All of these products can be found at the SIAL Innovation space, booth #1809.
The 10 finalists in the competition:
- Heritage Ham Trio by Arturo Sánchez, Spain – Booth #1401. In terms of taste, we were able to truly appreciate the Ham Trio, known as Heritage from the Spanish company, Arturo Sanchez. This product offers up a great introduction to its products via tasting thanks to three bellota hams cured using different techniques. Served in a limited-edition box, the Ham Trio is the perfect gourmet gift.
- Assorted Chocolates with Sorbet and Ice Cream Centres by Essence Glacier, Canada – Booth #823. Fantastic taste and a unique touch of originality is found in these ice cream and sorbet-filled chocolates by Essence Glacier (Canada). Not only chocolates nor simply frozen delights, they are a delicate combination of these two sweet treats. Available in seven flavors, including passion fruit that will surely create a sensory experience.
- Chios Gardens Fruit Juices, Greece – Booth #2505 The jury appreciated the Chios Gardens fruit juices by Market Sage for their unique positioning. Each juice features the number of fruits pressed to make its contents. Each juice box includes 12 oranges, 26 mandarins, or even a blend of five oranges, four apples and a peach.
- Date Bites by Bard Valley, United States – Booth #910 Eating for pleasure and health is possible thanks to U.S. company Bard Valley Medjool Dates with its Date Rolls that are coated in tiny crunchy pieces. Produced on the border of California and Arizona, these dates are rich in vitamins, minerals and fibre and are available in four gourmet versions that play with taste and texture, as well as a variety of coating options. They’re sold in an easy-to-carry package and can be enjoyed as a light snack that’s both gourmet and healthy.
- Salmon Tartare by Grizzly, Canada – Booth #723 In another industry, Canadian company Fumoir Grizzly’s Salmon Tartare also brings together health and taste. Since it’s frozen, the product is very practical, but is also rich in protein and low in calories. Its citrus marinade, which is sold separately, provides a pleasant touch of acidic freshness.
- Et Voilà! Camelina Oil by Olimega, Canada – Booth #215A Healthy eating is yet again prevalent thanks to Et Voilà! Camelina Oil produced by Canadian company Olimega. Camelina oil has very high levels of fatty acids, including omega-3, as well as omega-6 and omega-9. The oil can be used for all types of cooking and will surely satisfy health-conscious consumers.
- Snack-Format Ham by Arturo Sánchez, Spain – Booth #1401 As today’s consumers value practical products, the jury truly appreciated Arturo Sanchez’s convenient snack product, who won over the jury twice. The product is a ready-to-eat, individually portioned version of its Iberian ham.
- Poutine Bites by St-Hubert, Canada – Booth #2647 Practicality is yet again highlighted with Canadian producer St-Hubert’s Poutine Bites. Frozen bites of cheese in a brown sauce wrapped in a potato coating, these 335-gram boxes are ready to be shared at any time. An excellent appetizer treat.
- Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Cake by Bleumer, Canada – Booth #2634 Speaking of pre-dinner options, one shouldn’t overlook the Bleumer smoked salmon cake by Food Momentum (Canada). This cheesecake-style smoked salmon delight features 24 pre-cut individual slices on a platter.
- MesurACC Labelling Verification System by Étiquetage ACC Inc., Canada – Booth #2630 This year, the contest also welcomed innovations from the processing, packaging and technical fields. Experts considered the MesurACC food-label verification system, a tool designed to ensure labeling respects regulatory typographical requirements. Simple and effective, this system will definitely come in handy for professionals.
These products can be found at the SIAL Innovation space, booth #1809, and all visitors will be able to ask experts their questions while checking out the observatory and helping in the filming of short videos. As special visitors, journalists will also have the chance to attend the official tasting for the grand winner in the show’s media area.
About SIAL Canada
SIAL Canada is the only show to offer up a complete range of food-related products, all under one roof—and in so doing, simultaneously fulfills the needs of the retail, food-service, and food-processing sectors. It’s an ideal “one-stop shop” experience that’s one-of-a-kind in North America.For more information, please visit the SIAL Network at: https://www.sial-network.com/SIAL-exhibitions/A-network-of-leading-food-and-beverage-exhibitions/SIAL-Canada-the-North-American-food-innovation-exhibition