Wrapping paper – the gift that keeps on giving
New survey shows that 95% of Canadians will reuse paper products this holiday season.
December 8, 2014 By Andrew Joseph
According to a recent survey conducted by Asia Pulp & Paper Canada (APP)—one of the world’s largest paper companies—it found that while consumers aren’t going to be giving up gift wrapping this holiday season, they are reusing more of what they have or demanding more eco-friendly options.
In fact, nearly all Canadians (95%) say they will be reuse paper products as gift wrapping this holiday season.
There were also some striking differences in how Canadians and Americans will approach this holiday season as they reach for the wrapping paper and gift boxes. The data show that Canadians have strong sustainable attitudes, and are seeking out and willing to pay for sustainably-sourced products.
The survey, conducted by business research firm Opinion Research Corporation International (ORC), was completed in late September, 2014. About 1,000 Canadians and 1,000 Americans were interviewed across the two countries.
- At the top of the list of reusable paper products were gift bags (86%), followed by boxes (74%) and wrapping paper (59%);
- Compared with their male counterparts, the percentage of women who said they would reuse paper products to wrap gift was significantly higher. For example, 92% of women would reuse gift bags as compared to 79% of men;
- Half (50%) of Canadians said they plan to seek out more sustainably-sourced wrapping paper and gift bags compared to 41% of Americans;
- The attitude was fairly consistent despite potential generational differences – Millennials (52%), GenX (49%) and Baby Boomers (50%);
- Asked if they were willing to pay more for eco-friendly/sustainable holiday gift bags and wrapping paper, 40% of Canadians said they would compared to 35% of Americans. Younger Canadians felt stronger about this issue, as nearly half of Canadian Millennials (48%) would pay more, a sign to businesses that sustainable practices are beneficial to the bottom line;
- Nearly two-thirds (65%) of Canadians would prefer to give gifts that have greener, more environmentally friendly packaging such as those with commitments to zero deforestation and sustainable sourcing practices. More than half of Americans (52%) said they would take this approach.
For more information on the APP, visit www.appcanada.com.