Tetra Pak publishes its Sustainability Update 2013
By Canadian Packaging StaffGeneral Fabrication Sustainability Forest Stewardship Council Tetra Pak
Report details progress in sustainability and milk programs for kids around the world.
Lausanne, Switzerland—Tetra Pak has launched its 2013 Sustainability Update that highlights some of the activities and initiatives that have taken place across the globe during the past year, reinforcing the company’s commitment to grow its business in ways that are socially, environmentally, and economically responsible.
Some examples of the company’s progress in 2012 include:
• The expansion of the Dairy Hubs program to Bangladesh and Nicaragua. The project, which was first introduced in Pakistan in 2009, aims to improve quality and availability of raw milk in developing countries by linking up smallholder farmers to dedicated dairy processors.
• An increase of more than 30 per cent in the total number of children benefiting from the School Milk Programme. More than 67 million children in 60 plus countries are now provided with milk or other nutritious drinks in Tetra Pak cartons.
• The delivery of more than 26 billion carton packages in 39 countries with the Forest Stewardship Council logo (FSC), a growth of 43 per cent over 2011.
• The extended sourcing of bio-based polymers for the closures and caps, which were used on more than 610 million Tetra Pak cartons.
• The recycling of almost 23 per cent of carton packages sold, moving one step closer to the 2020 recycling goal of 40 per cent.
“The progresses we’ve made in 2012 are results of innovation and collaboration,” says Tetra Pak Group president and chief executive officer Dennis Jönsson. “We have no illusions about the challenges we face. But we believe that by finding new ways to process, package and distribute food and to deal with waste, and by working with partners throughout the value chain, we will make a difference for the futures of the company, the industry and the society.”
The full report of Tetra Pak Sustainability Update 2013 can be found HERE.