PMMI awards student scholarships
PMMI Scholarship awarded to students at two-year colleges in U.S.
June 25, 2018
by Canadian Packaging staff
RESTON, Virginia—Twenty-two students received US$4,000 scholarships from the PMMI Scholarship in Memorial of Claude S. Breeden, Glenn Davis and Art Schaefer, according to PMMI, The Association for Packaging and Processing Technologies.
PMMI has more than doubled its annual academic scholarship funds to US$90,000 to reward students at two-year partner schools. To qualify for the scholarship, students are required to have a GPA of 3.0 or higher and plans for a career in packaging and processing machinery manufacturing, as well as a record of past awards and recognition and industry involvement through internship and career development opportunities.
“We award these scholarships to two-year students to promote the value of technical schools in closing the manufacturing skills gap by developing a qualified emerging workforce,” says PMMI education manager Kate Fiorianti. “These two-year schools are affordable, making cutting-edge technical training accessible to many, while offering more flexibility with internship and apprenticeship opportunities.”
Overall, the PMMI Foundation provides over US$150,000 in academic scholarships each year to students studying packaging, food processing, engineering and mechatronics at over 40 partner schools throughout the U.S. and Canada, though no student from a Canadian school received a scholarship this time.
Since the scholarship program’s establishment, the PMMI Foundation has given over $2-million to students pursuing careers in the packaging and processing industries. Funds are raised through events like the PMMI Foundation Golf Tournament, the Amazing Packaging Race and the brand-new CareerLink PACK EXPO networking and interview event held this year at PACK EXPO International and the co-located Healthcare Packaging EXPO (October 14-17, 2018 in Chicago).
The winners of the 2018 PMMI Scholarship in Memorial of Claude S. Breeden, Glenn Davis and Art Schaefer are:
- Faraeh Awale, Hennepin Technical College, Minneapolis, Minnesota;
- Tolulope Awe, Reading Area Community College, Reading, Pennsylvania;
- Benjamin Bean, Pennsylvania College of Technology, Williamsport, Pennsylvania;
- Zane Burnett, Alexandria Technical and Community College, Alexandria, Minnesota;
- Jeremy Carlson, Pennsylvania College of Technology;
- Kalie Conner, Community College of Alleghany County, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania;
- Jonathan Droneck, Hennepin Technical College;
- Austin Fitch, Community College of Alleghany County;
- Bill Goodridge, Central Piedmont Community College, Charlotte, North Carolina;
- Trent Holben, Pennsylvania College of Technology;
- Robert Howard, Central Community College, Grand Island, Nebraska;
- Danial Kilinski, Pennsylvania College of Technology;
- Andrew Lembeck, Hennepin Technical College;
- Macky Masalayinga, Central Piedmont Community College;
- Abigail Meredick, Pennsylvania College of Technology;
- David Moroskie, Pennsylvania College of Technology;
- Natalie Rhoades, Pennsylvania Technical College
- Tyler Schmill, Pennsylvania College of Technology;
- Henri Siyapdje, Community College of Alleghany County;
- Harle Smale, Pennsylvania College of Technology;
- Matthew Witt, Hennepin Technical College;
- Jacob Gaspari, Central Community College.
In addition to scholarships, PMMI U Connection offers several opportunities for students and young industry professionals to connect with PMMI member and CPG (consumer packaged goods) companies.
Earlier this year, PMMI U Connection launched CareerLink, a new online job board where PMMI member companies can post entry-level job and internship positions for students and veterans to apply. Students from partner schools are also encouraged to attend PACK EXPO free of charge to see the industry in action and network with PMMI members and CPG companies.
PMMI, The Association for Packaging and Processing Technologies, represents more than 800 North American manufacturers and suppliers of equipment, components and materials as well as providers of related equipment and services to the packaging and processing industry. It operates the world-class PACK EXPO portfolio of trade shows: PACK EXPO International, PACK EXPO Las Vegas, Healthcare Packaging EXPO, PACK EXPO East, EXPO PACK México, EXPO PACK Guadalajara and ProFood Tech. Learn more at www.PMMI.org and www.Packexpo.com and www.PMMIMediaGroup.com.