Old Spice adds new spice
By Canadian Packaging staffGeneral Dirt Destroyer Body Wash Odor Blocker Anti-Perspirant/Deodorant Old Spice Old Spice commercials Old Spice Hardest Working Collection Sweat Defense Anti-Perspirant/Deodorant Tough Mudder Wieden+Kennedy (Portland)
Old Spice spices up innovation, performance ante with new hardest-working collection line of anti-perspirant/deodorants and body wash.
CINCINNATI—Old Spice is taking performance to legendary extremes with the introduction of the new Hardest Working Collection product line, offering the most powerful Old Spice anti-perspirants and body washes in the world.
Guys want performance—anti-perspirants that protect them from odor and sweat, and body washes that clean. The Hardest Working Collection, consisting of the new Odor Blocker and Sweat Defense anti-perspirant/deodorants and Dirt Destroyer body wash, delivers unparalleled performance for guys who train hard and play hard, and demand more from their grooming products.
“Old Spice has a proven track record of delivering unrivaled protection,” says Procter & Gamble Old Spice brand director Janine Miletic. “Guys have come to know and love Old Spice for the premium scents we offer and our current lineup delivers performance on parity with competition. With the launch of the new Hardest Working Collection, we’ve taken that performance up a notch. Truly delivering Legendary Protection for Legendary Men.”
To confidently stand behind the Hardest Working Collection’s preeminent performance credentials, Old Spice is going back to the brand’s performance roots and relaunching its 1-800-PROVE-IT money-back guarantee.
If consumers use the Hardest Working Collection and the products do not live up to their standards, they can call 1-800-PROVE-IT for information on how to receive a full refund.
A series of humorous digital infomercials hosted by The King of Products Bob Giovanni – “Odor Blocker and Sweat Defense” and “Dirt Destroyer” – will help reinforce this performance satisfaction pledge, as well as communicate the product innovation claims of the new Hardest Working Collection.
Hardest Working Collection Lineup
• Odor Blocker Anti-Perspirant/Deodorant – Odor Blocker is Old Spice’s most powerful invisible solid anti-perspirant/deodorant, delivering legendary performance through stronger and longer sweat protection than its other collections and a 50 percent increase in BCD odor fighting technology that only Old Spice can claim. Odor Blocker’s unique invisible solid anti-perspirant formula forms better plugs to protect against sweat.
◦ Available scents include new Lasting Legend, Pure Sport Plus, Stronger Swagger, Extra Fresh and Tougher Timber.
• Sweat Defense Anti-Perspirant/Deodorant – Sweat Defense soft solid anti-perspirant/deodorant is Old Spice’s ‘gold standard’ delivering “stronger and longer sweat protection” for all-day dryness. The category standard for extra effective anti-perspirant/deodorants is a 30 percent sweat reduction. Old Spice Sweat Defense delivers a 66 percent sweat reduction. Sweat Defense also is now turbocharged with Old Spice’s proprietary BCD technology to trap and lock away bad odors as they occur while releasing fresh, manly scent in its place.
◦ Available scents include new Lasting Legend, Pure Sport Plus, Stronger Swagger, Extra Fresh and Fresher Fiji.
• Dirt Destroyer Body Wash – Dirt Destroyer is Old Spice’s most powerful body wash, offering 15 percent more cleansers, a 30 percent thicker formula and 20 percent more scent. Its thicker formula delivers a thick, dirt-eliminating lather and less down the drain resulting in a better overall shower experience.
◦ Available scents include new Lasting Legend, Pure Sport Plus and Stronger Swagger.
Legendary Protection for Legendary Men Advertising Campaign
Developed with advertising agency Wieden+Kennedy (Portland), the Hardest Working Collection Legendary Protection for Legendary Men integrated marketing campaign introduces a new brand character – the Legendary Man – who personifies how living a legendary life can lead to unexpected and legendary things.
“Rocket Car” (:60/:30/:15) – Amidst an epic desert landscape, our Legendary Man doesn’t let speed nor the lack of an engineering degree stop him from taking life … and Odor Blocker … by the wheel.
“Whale” (:60/:30/:15) – Our Legendary Man never slows down or second guesses how to spend his life savings, thanks to Dirt Destroyer.
The two television commercials, which bring to life how the Hardest Working Collection offers Legendary Protection for Legendary Men, are currently available on the brand’s Facebook (Facebook.com/OldSpice) and YouTube (YouTube.com/OldSpice) pages, with their national television debut scheduled for NFL Wild Card Weekend. Old Spice also will be rolling out a series of five-second (:05) product technology spots with voiceover by popular Old Spice Guy Terry Crews.
Tough Mudder Partnership
Old Spice is teaming up with Tough Mudder as the official Men’s Body Wash and Anti-Perspirant/Deodorant Partner of the rigorous obstacle course series, offering the perfect proving ground for guys to test the legendary performance of the Hardest Working Collection. Old Spice’s partnership with Tough Mudder includes sponsorship of a co-branded obstacle Mud Mile 2.0 and presentation of post-event rinse stations and changing areas, plus distribution of Hardest Working Collection and Old Spice Hair product to participants at all U.S. 2016 events. Visit ToughMudder.com for the list of event dates and locations.
- Mud Mile 2.0 – Lend a hand, take a hand; pay it forward, give it back – this obstacle is all about going the extra mile. With waist-deep mud pits and slippery mounds to mount, Mud Mile is a classic Tough Mudder fan favorite. For 2016, Tough Mudder is digging the pits deeper, mounding them higher, and cutting the angles steeper than ever before to ensure no one comes out clean. If you don’t start this obstacle with a team, you’ll finish it with one, or maybe end up stuck for good.
“Old Spice is a perfect partner for Tough Mudder, and we’re excited to introduce its new Hardest Working Collection to our participants in 2016,” says Tough Mudder founder and chief executive officer Will Dean. “With more than 20 obstacles over 10 miles, Mudders face extreme physical challenges that require teamwork and mental grit. They deserve products that will meet their needs, and the Hardest Working Collection will keep them fresh no matter what they face on course.”
About Old Spice
Procter & Gamble’s Old Spice is the quintessential men’s grooming brand. With nearly 80 years as an American icon, Old Spice is the authority on the male grooming experience and has leveraged this heritage to become the No.1 selling anti-perspirant/deodorant stick and body wash brand with guys of all ages. Old Spice brings authenticity, performance and confidence to male grooming and offers a wide product portfolio for today’s man, including anti-perspirants, deodorants, bar soap, body washes, body sprays, after shaves and colognes. For more information on muscles, lasers, nachos and jet skis, visit Twitter (@OldSpice), Facebook (Facebook.com/OldSpice), YouTube (YouTube.com/OldSpice), Instagram (oldspice) and Tumblr (oldspice).
About Tough Mudder Inc.
Founded in 2010 with the launch of the Tough Mudder event series of 10-12 mile military-style obstacle courses, Tough Mudder Inc. has since grown to include Tough Mudder Half, an obstacle challenge bringing the thrills of Tough Mudder to a 5-mile course; Mudderella, an obstacle course series created by women for women; Fruit Shoot Mini Mudder, a custom event for children ages 7-12; and World’s Toughest Mudder, a grueling 24-hour endurance competition. The Tough Mudder family of brands is united by a commitment to promoting courage, personal accomplishment and teamwork through unconventional, life-changing experiences. With more than 2 million participants to date, Tough Mudder Inc. will put on more than 60 events worldwide in 2016. To learn more about Tough Mudder, visit toughmudder.com.