Government of Canada supports scale-up and growth of southern Ontario’s manufacturing sector
Investment of $8.5 million will create 110 skilled jobs and help four innovative businesses scale-up and grow
January 13, 2022
Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev Ontario)
The manufacturing sector remains a critical driver of the southern Ontario economy. It produces vital goods for domestic and global markets and creates good-paying jobs for Canadians. The Government of Canada is committed to investing in homegrown manufacturers and companies that are supporting smarter and cleaner solutions and boosting critical local supply chains as we build towards a more sustainable and resilient economy.
Today, the Honourable Helena Jaczek, Minister responsible for the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev Ontario), announced a total investment of $8.5 million for four innovative businesses: Equispheres Inc., The Crump Group Inc., Fourmark Manufacturing Inc. and BIG-nano Corporation.
This funding will support the creation of over 110 new jobs and maintain more than 75 existing jobs across the region, as well as reduce landfill waste and greenhouse gas emissions, boost supply chains and enhance market opportunities. For project details, please see the backgrounder.
Southern Ontario’s SMEs have shown incredible resilience and adaptability in the face of COVID-19. The Government of Canada is committed to providing southern Ontario’s manufacturing businesses with the tools they need to scale-up, create good jobs and seize new opportunities to thrive well into the future.
“The Government of Canada recognizes the importance of supporting southern Ontario’s manufacturing sector to help them produce cutting-edge Canadian-made technology and embrace next-generation innovations to build a stronger, more sustainable future. Today’s investment shows our strong commitment to supporting small- and medium-sized businesses. We will continue to support long-term economic development in southern Ontario and across Canada to drive sustainable, resilient, and inclusive economic growth and to ensure Canadians have access to good jobs.”
— The Honourable Helena Jaczek, Minister responsible for the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev Ontario)
- Ontario’s manufacturing sector is responsible for 30 percent of provincial GDP and more than 25 percent of employment.
- Established in 2015, Ottawa-based Equispheres Inc. produces aluminum powders that are developed with proprietary technology and are in high demand by leading original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) due to their ability to print 30 percent faster with a 50 percent reduction in production costs and can transform the physical design tolerances and supply chain logistics of high-value, complex parts.
- Established in 1997, Fourmark Manufacturing Inc. is a family-owned business that utilizes the latest technological solutions from injection molding machines, advanced robotics and automation systems to produce recyclable packaging for the food, health, beauty and industrial sectors.
- Established in 2006 and currently operating out of three manufacturing facilities in Brampton, the Crump Group’s products have been recognized as one of North America’s highest rated dog treats by Consumeraffairs.com.
- Established in 2018, BIG-nano’s unique production technique for its reusable, nanofiber material, developed by founder and president John Rawlins, was recognized by NASA Tech Brief’s “Design your Future Contest.”
- Since November 2015, the Government of Canada, through FedDev Ontario, has invested over $490 million in over 240 manufacturing projects across southern Ontario, creating over 6,670 jobs and maintaining an additional almost 10,000.