Government of Canada invests $12.7 million to contribute to a growing economy by strengthening Southern Ontario’s food sector
By FedDev OntarioGeneral
FedDev Ontario investment to help five innovative food processing and packaging companies to scale-up and create over 180 skilled jobs
Nov. 18, 2022 Brantford, Ontario Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev Ontario)
The food and beverage processing sector in Ontario is a key contributor to Canadas growing economy. The Government of Canada is committed to creating jobs by investing in businesses that contribute to successful industries, like the food processing and packaging sector, in order to ensure an economy that works for everyone.
Today, the Honourable Filomena Tassi, Minister responsible for the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev Ontario), announced an investment of $12.7 million, through the Jobs and Growth Fund and the Business Scale-up and Productivity stream, for five companies operating in the food processing and packaging sector: Ferrero Canada Ltd., Tempo Flexible Packaging Inc., Sheen Legend Packaging Corp. (operating as Beneco Packaging and SoOPAK), Summer Fresh Salads Inc. and Casa Bonita Foods Inc. This investment will help these companies enhance their technologies and increase production, which will lead to the creation of over 180 jobs across southern Ontario. By investing in the potential of these hard working businesses, we are ensuring a strong economic future for southern Ontario and all of Canada.
Minister Tassi joined representatives from Ferrero Canada Ltd., a leading manufacturer of chocolate and confectionery products that operates out of an over one million-square foot manufacturing and processing facility in Brantford, Ontario. Ferrero Canada is receiving a $5 million investment, through the Jobs and Growth Fund, to increase capacity and automation of two main production lines, Ferrero Rocher and Nutella & GO!, so they can enhance output and meet demand. This project will also create more than 100 skilled jobs in southern Ontario.
As we celebrate Womens Entrepreneurship Day on November 19, the Government of Canada recognizes the importance of investing in the potential of women-owned and operated businesses. Todays investments also include $7 million towards three female owned and/or operated businesses, Sheen Legend Packaging Corp., Summer Fresh Salads Inc. and Tempo Flexible Packaging Inc., which are expanding production to foster more resilient, economic growth.
Additional details on the projects supported through todays investment can be found in the backgrounder.
“Investing in successful industries, like southern Ontario’s food processors and the businesses that support them, will lead to a growing economy that works for everyone. Todays $12.7 million investment for these five leading businesses will create over 180 jobs for southern Ontario while showcasing and attracting talent to our thriving region. Our government will continue to make smart investments to grow the economy and create good jobs.”
- The Honourable Filomena Tassi, Minister responsible for the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario
- Ontario’s food and beverage processing sector is vital to the Canadian economy, accounting for 37 per cent of the industrys revenue in the country. The sector has more than 4,000 establishments in the province, employing more than 125,000 people.
- Incorporated in 1974, Ferrero Canada Limited (Ferrero Canada) is a subsidiary of the global Ferrero Group, which is headquartered in Luxembourg, and is the worlds third largest confectionery group, producing Ferrero Rocher chocolates, Kinder chocolates, Nutella hazelnut spread and Tic Tac mints. The Brantford location supports more than 1,700 employees and is a major manufacturing hub for North America. The Ferrero Canada team is 50 per cent women, including a number of executives in leadership roles.
- Established in 1969, Tempo Flexible Packaging Inc. is a family-run manufacturer of flexible packaging for the food industry and is among the largest employers in the Town of Innisfil. In 2020, Tempo was recognized by the PAC Canadian Packaging Awards for Manufacturing the Best in Show. The company is female majority-owned and operated by Lee-Anne Giglio, a long with her brother Leonardo Giglio.
- Incorporated in 2004 and located in Scarborough and Cobourg, Sheen Legend Packaging Corp. (operating as Beneco Packaging and SoOPAK) is a box packaging company primarily operating in the food and beverage industry, that employs 62 full-time employees. The company is woman-led by Yajun Jiang.
- Established in 1991, Summer Fresh Salads Inc. manufactures over 100 products including hummus, salads and easy meals for the North American market. The company is wholly owned and led by its founder, Susan Niczsowski.
- Established in 2016, Casa Bonita Foods Inc. is a Scarborough-based, food manufacturer that produces authentic Mexican tortillas that are vegan, trans-fat, gluten-free, non-GML and organic.
- Since 2015, FedDev Ontario has invested over $49 million in 16 projects that are supporting the food processing sector in southern Ontario, creating over 1,000 jobs and maintaining 180 jobs.