Corby Spirit and Wine supporting Canadian communities during COVID-19 outbreak
By CNW Group Ltd.General
TORONTO, April 17, 2020 /CNW/ – The worldwide COVID-19 pandemic has created one of the most difficult times in recent global and Canadian history.
Across the country, people are being asked to self-isolate and remain in their homes in an effort to stem the spread of the highly infectious virus; this includes the shuttering of many businesses and events, which has the added impact of putting people out of work — including some 800,000 hospitality and foodservice workers from across Canada.
To help Canadians get through this period, Corby Spirit and Wine has already undertaken several initiatives that support key groups and protect those who are on the front lines trying to control the spread. Among Corby’s efforts:
- Hiram Walker & Sons produces hand sanitizer — The historic distillery in Windsor, Ont., has been converted to begin producing hand sanitizer, with a commitment to contribute up to 20,000 litres per week to help people keep their hands clean and free of germs. Hiram Walker and Corby have partnered with the Ontario government and the City of Windsor to help get sanitizer where it’s needed most. The first batch was delivered two weeks ago to the Village of Lake Aspen Nursing Home in Windsor, and an additional 1000 liters were delivered to St. Joseph’s Hospital and St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto. Hiram Walker will also be supplying much needed alcohol to large manufacturers for their production of hand sanitizer.
- Offering WSET Training to 1,500 bartenders — Corby is partnering with the Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET) to sponsor a free Level 1 Award in Spirits course for 1,500 bartenders across the country to take while their bars are closed down. The course will be offered on four start dates — May 4th, 11th, 18th and 25th; those participating can pick the date that works best for them. Each student accepted onto the course will be expected to attend a final exam when conditions allow. Successful students will receive a certificate and WSET lapel pin badge, both of which are widely recognized across the industry. This program shows the commitment of the WSET to support the hospitality industry during these challenging times. “Our partnership with Corby Spirit and Wine will help inspire and empower hospitality professionals through education and a qualification that will help them in their careers once they are able to return to work” said Dave Rudman, Executive Director at WSET Americas. For more information or to sign up, please visit www.corbybeat.ca/wset
- The Corby Brand Engagement and Advocacy Team (BEAT) will also be available via their own social channels for the duration of the course as additional support.
- Foreign Affair Winery — The Niagara winery is closed to the public, but it joined with other local wineries to provide 2,000 bottles and screwcaps to assist in the distribution of locally-produced disinfectant.
- Absolut Vodka supports LGBTQ2S artists — A $20,000 donation has been made to the Glad Day Lit Emergency Fund for LGBTQ2S artists and performers, and $25,000 has been donated to the Brooke Lynn Hytes Initiative to support drag performers who have found themselves out of work because of the outbreak.
- J.P. Wiser’s launches #CheersAcrossCanada: The J.P. Wiser’s Canadian whisky team wishes to reinforce the importance of friendships and connections during this difficult time. Launched in partnership with The GenWell Project, the #CheersAcrossCanada is a virtual “Cheers” to be passed on to those we can’t wait to connect with. Master Blender Dr. Don Livermore started the ‘Cheers’ online asking all of us to continue the #CheersAcrossCanada. Hold it high and join the movement on Instagram tagging @jpwisers
About Corby Spirit and Wine
Corby Spirit and Wine Limited is a leading Canadian manufacturer, marketer and distributor of spirits and wines. Corby’s portfolio of owned-brands includes some of the most renowned brands in Canada, including J.P. Wiser’s®, Lot 40®, and Pike Creek® Canadian whiskies, Lamb’s® rum, Polar Ice® vodka, McGuinness® liqueurs, Ungava® gin, Cabot Trail® maple-based liqueurs and Chic Choc® Spiced rum, and Foreign Affair® wines. Through its affiliation with Pernod Ricard S.A., a global leader in the spirits and wine industry, Corby also represents leading international brands such as ABSOLUT® vodka, Chivas Regal®, The Glenlivet® and Ballantine’s® Scotch whiskies, Jameson® Irish whiskey, Beefeater® gin, Malibu® rum, Kahlúa® liqueur, Mumm® champagne, and Jacob’s Creek®, Wyndham Estate®, Stoneleigh®, Campo Viejo®, and Kenwood® wines. Corby is a publicly traded company based in Toronto, Ontario, and listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the trading symbols CSW.A and CSW.B. For further information, please visit our website or follow us on LinkedIn, Instagram, or Twitter.
About the Wine & Spirit Education Trust
- Set up in 1969, WSET is the largest global provider of wine, spirits and sake qualifications.
- WSET offers qualifications across four levels, from one-day beginner courses through to an expert level diploma. Courses are available in more than 15 languages and over 70 countries and are open both to industry professionals and interested enthusiasts.
- WSET is recognised as an awarding organisation by Ofqual, the English regulator of qualifications and examinations. All WSET qualifications have a strong reputation worldwide as the industry standard for knowledge.
- In the last academic year (2018/19) over 100,000 candidates sat for a WSET qualification and, since 1969, WSET has awarded nearly one million individuals a WSET qualification.
- For more information about WSET, please visit www.WSETglobal.com.