Acquisitions, Partnerships & New Equipment in the global packaging industry
A compilation of some of the movers and shakers within the global packaging industry.
March 17, 2016
by Canadian Packaging staff
- International Paper has agreed with Holmen Paper to purchase Holmen’s newsprint mill in Madrid, Spain, intending to convert the facility to produce recycled containerboard. Under the terms of the agreement, International Paper would purchase the Madrid newsprint Mill, as well as associated recycling operations and a 50-percent ownership interest in a cogeneration facility.
- PolyOne Corporation, a leading global provider of specialized polymer materials, services and solutions, has elected its president and CEO Robert M. Patterson to serve in the additional role of chairman of the Board of Directors, effective May 12, 2016, succeeding the retiring Stephen D. Newlin. Richard H. Fearon, vice-chairman and chief financial and planning officer at Eaton, will continue to serve as lead director.
- Mexican fast food chain Chipotle names Jim Marsden to newly-created position of executive director of food safety for the 2,000-restaurant chain.
- In the U.K., Imagenet, the graphics services division of global packaging company Coveris, has acquired Rivendell Europe. Providing a range of complementary and extended graphics services, the Leeds-based business supports Imagenet’s continued Europe growth plans and accelerates entry into new and adjacent markets.
- TerraVia (Solazyme) and Unilever sign multi-year supply agreement for US$200+ million to purchase renewable algae oils uses in personal care products—reflecting a previous seven year collaboration between the two businesses.
- R. R. Donnelley & Sons Company has entered into a strategic relationship with Adobe to integrate Adobe Marketing Cloud into its technology platform for both businesses to provide their audiences with connected communications across multiple channels and devices and provides tools and services that increase engagement and manage brand consistency.
- BASF and Avantium have signed a letter of intent and entered into exclusive negotiations to establish a joint venture for the production and marketing of furandicarboxylic acid (FDCA), as well as marketing of polyethylenefuranoate (PEF), two new materials that should improve the performance of food packaging films and plastic bottles.
- Naturex of Delta, B.C. expands its use and commitment to green extraction technologies for clean-label products after signing a processing agreement with Mazza Innovation of Avignon, France, a world-leading provider of premium-quality, solvent-free botanical extracts. For Naturex, a global leader in specialty plant-based natural ingredients, the agreement is to utilize Mazza’s patented pressurized low-polarity water (PLPW) technology to extract phytochemicals from cranberries.
- Clearwater Paper Corporation of Newtown, CT is the recipient of The Independent Carton Group (ICG) Supplier of the Year Award for 2015. the ICG is an association of 19 independently owned and operated folding carton manufacturers.
Paxiom Group, Inc. Reiser (Canada) Co. VC999 Canada Ltd. Nordson Canada Limited Heat and Control, Inc. Harpak-Ulma Packaging, LLC
Balluff Canada Inc. Matthews Marking Systems ID Technology Canada Squid Ink Manufacturing Weber Marking Systems of Canada Harlund Industries Ltd. Videojet Technologies Inc.
VC999 Canada Ltd. Anritsu Infivis Inc. Shawpak Systems Ltd. Mettler-Toledo Canada Heat and Control, Inc. Sesotec Canada Ltd Loma Systems, an ITW Company
Matthews Marking Systems ID Technology Canada Squid Ink Manufacturing Weber Marking Systems of Canada Harlund Industries Ltd. Videojet Technologies Inc.
Anritsu Infivis Inc. Shawpak Systems Ltd. Nordson Canada Limited Mettler-Toledo Canada Fortress Technology Inc. Loma Systems, an ITW Company
Matthews Marking Systems ID Technology Canada Squid Ink Manufacturing Weber Marking Systems of Canada Harlund Industries Ltd. Videojet Technologies Inc. Capmatic Ltd.
VC999 Canada Ltd. Anritsu Infivis Inc. Shawpak Systems Ltd. Mettler-Toledo Canada Heat and Control, Inc. Sesotec Canada Ltd Fortress Technology Inc. Loma Systems, an ITW Company
ID Technology Canada Squid Ink Manufacturing Weber Marking Systems of Canada Harlund Industries Ltd. Videojet Technologies Inc.