GFTC launches its own food safety awards
The Guelph Food and Technology Centre to offer recognition to Canadian companies that demonstrate the best that food safety has to offer.
June 6, 2012
by Canadian Packaging Staff
The Guelph Food and Technology Centre (GFTC), located in Guelph, ON, 45 minutes northwest of Toronto, has announced it will launch its own GFTC Food Safety Recognition Awards program to acknowledge Canadian food safety excellence.
There will be four categories for these awards for companies or individuals located in Canada:
- Food Safety Excellence Award
- Food Safety Leadership Award
- Food Safety Outreach Award
- Allied Trades Food Safety Award
Food Safety Excellence Award
• Eligibility: food/beverage and packaging material manufacturers, food producers, re-packers, distributors, retailers and food service designated to a site or facility.
• Criteria: food safety performance; senior management commitment and engagement; commitment to continuous improvement; supply chain management; facility condition.
Food Safety Leadership Award
• Eligibility: individual-based employee of food or packaging company or allied trade.
• Criteria: driving food safety excellence within organization; contributing to advances in science and food safety; engaging in food safety outreach; inspiring food safety passion and action.
Food Safety Outreach Award
• Eligibility: food/beverage and packaging material manufacturers, food producers, re-packers, distributors, retailers and food service designated to a site or facility making a difference beyond your four walls.
• Criteria: consumer education and awareness; industry involvement and advocacy; support for research and technology.
Allied Trades Food Safety Award
• Eligibility: companies that support the food and beverage industry—such as sanitation, pest control, contractors, millwrights, consultants, etc.—designated to a site, facility or company.
• Criteria: use of quality and process management systems to deliver product and service excellence; exemplary client satisfaction measures and testimonials; demonstrated history of achieving food safety results for clients and customers; innovation in food safety practices and development of improved technologies for industry.
The nomination period for the awards will run between September 1 – September 30, 2012, with the winners announced in February 2013.
Although more detailed information is not yet available, the GFTC did note that for those entering a nomination package on-line, it should include: a completed questionnaire; letters of support; senior leadership attestation and commitment letter; digital photos and supporting documents.
Finalists may be required to host a site visit and agree to release their company’s name for promotional and recognition activities.
The GFTC says that more information will be made available shortly, but to ensure you receive updates as the awards criteria are finalized, contact Lisa Smedmor via e-mail at email@example.com or Paul Medeiros via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.