Food labeling courses at GFTC
Looking to learn more about food labeling? The GFTC has three courses this April 2012.
March 12, 2012
by Canadian Packaging Staff
The GFTC (Guelph Food Technology Centre) is a global leader in food safety, training, quality and technical solutions, situated west of Toronto in Guelph, Ont. It offers the most up-to-date knowledge to leading companies in the food and beverage industry, and specific to the food labeling industry, is offering three courses this April 2012.
Enhanced Canadian Allergen (Gluten & Sulphite) Labelling Workshop
Date: April 4, 2012
The enhanced Canadian allergen labeling regulations were unveiled in February 2011. The implementation date has been set for August 4, 2012. It is required that the labeling be in a clearer language and the declaration of otherwise “hidden” allergens, gluten sources, and sulphites be clearly visible. At the end of the program, you will be able to:
- list which foods are subject to the regulations and which are exempt;
- define food allergens, gluten sources, and sulphites;
- explain how to declare food allergens, gluten sources, and sulphites in a list of ingredients;
- explain how to declare food allergens, gluten sources, and sulphites in a contains statement;
- determine how best to declare cautionary allergen statements.
Course Pricing: Member: $284, Early Bird: $299, Regular: $315
For more information please visit: Allergen Labelling
Food Safety, Hygiene & Labelling: A Beginner’s Guide
Date: April 23, 2012
Designed to provide basic but vital information on food safety, hygiene, composition and labeling to people who are new to the food and beverage industry, this program also provides essential guidelines to food manufacturers. This intense workshop will help food industry professionals establish manufacturing practices that incorporate a strict food safety regime while meeting the regulatory requirements. At the end of the program, you will be able to:
- understand and discuss operational and process control for food and beverage manufacturing;
- describe controls needed for food product formulation, composition, labeling and net quantity;
- explain hygiene requirements and regulations for equipment, premises, sanitation and pest control, personnel, transportation and storage;
- identify the importance of effective record maintenance.
Course Pricing: Member: $426, Early Bird: $449, Regular: $473
For more information please visit: Beginner’s Guide
Ingredient & Nutrition Labelling for Foodservice & Retail
Date: April 26, 2012
Consumers today are paying close attention to food labels in order to make informed choices about the food they consume. The ingredient and nutrition labels on foods have to be easy to understand, clear, informative and concise. At the same time they have to meet government-mandated regulations for food product labeling. This workshop presents the Canadian requirements for food ingredient and nutrition labeling. At the end of this program, you will be able to:
- identify proper naming of foods and display of information panels;
- define allergen labeling and health claim regulations;
- describe and develop ingredient statements for products;
- interpret mandates for declaration of net weight, nutrient labeling and health claims;
- assess practical issues in food labeling.
Course Pricing: Member: $498, Early Bird: $525, Regular: $553
For more information please visit: Labelling for Foodservice
For registration enquiries, please contact Annette Crewson at 519-821-1246, ext. 5028 or via e-mail at email@example.com.