Cascades Launches New Sustainability Action Plan
With World Environment Day around the corner, Cascades is launching its fourth Sustainability Action Plan, with hopes of being the most ambitious in its history: Driving Positive Change.
The plan, is based on four main pillars: Respectful of the Planet, Solutions Driven, Community Minded, and People Focused. It is also aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations and with the recommendations of the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) in terms of reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Cascades is launching a plan which contains several targets to further reduce its environmental footprint. Among these are:
- Reducing Scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions of paper manufacturing plants by 38.7% by 2030 compared with 2019 (kg of CO2 eq./metric tonnes)
- Reducing Scope 3 greenhouse gas emissions by 22% by 2030 compared with 2019 (kg of CO2 eq./metric tonnes)
- Sourcing 100% renewable electricity by 2030
- Reducing paper mill water effluents by 15% by 2025
Cascades are also expected to remain focused on people and their well-being by strengthening its culture of health, safety, equity, diversity and inclusion. Through its sustainability action plan, the company is targeting:
- 50% reduction in the number of days lost due to work accidents (severity rate)
- 100% of employees trained on unconscious biases related to equity, diversity and inclusion