DuPont announces 2016 Packaging Innovation Award winners
Two new award categories recognize ground-breaking excellence in packaging innovation.
May 16, 2016
by Canadian Packaging staff
WILMINGTON, DEL—DuPont has announced its 2016 Awards for Packaging Innovation, recognizing companies that have responded to worldwide demand for improvements in customer product experiences and sustainability, and incorporated simpler messaging and cost-efficient production technologies.
Graham Packaging based in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, received the highest accolade, the Diamond Award, for its Thermaset Blow Molded PET Container for hot-fill, pasteurized food.
Thermoset offers consumers a shatter-resistant, easy-to-hold, safe, recyclable container that significantly reduces shipping, breakage and other manufacturing costs for the brand owner.
The newly inaugurated Diamond Finalist award, given to six companies, acknowledges the growing number of packaging innovations that excel in all three categories: technological advancement, responsible packaging and enhanced user experience.
As a result of ground-breaking, cutting-edge excellence in the packaging marketplace, judges awarded a new Leadership in Innovation Award to MGI, based in Melbourne, Florida.
MGI was recognized for its digital spot UV and hot foiling technology for next-generation digital package decoration, with advancements in customization, personalization and cost-effectiveness.
The DuPont Awards for Packaging Innovation is the industry’s longest running, global, independently-judged celebration of innovation and collaboration throughout the value chain and is recognized globally as the leading packaging awards program. The international competition honors innovations in packaging design, materials, technology and processes. An independent panel of packaging experts evaluated nearly 200 entries from more than 25 countries.
In addition to the awards noted above, the judges awarded five gold winners and nine silver winners based on “excellence” in one or two categories.
“Ascending to new heights in packaging innovation, this year’s winners show how collaboration, innovation and packaging excellence converge to generate game-changing solutions that positively impact our lives,” says DuPont Ethylene Copolymers vice-president Dale Outhous. “We are inspired by the breadth of advances, including interactive user experiences, clean labeling, advances in safety and sustainability, and expanded manufacturing options and lower production costs, especially with digital printing.”
Lead judge David Luttenberger, CPP, global packaging director of Mintel Group Ltd. says: “Noticeable this year was a strong commitment to the greater good, with a focus shift from just package functionality to more solutions-based packaging, which provides consumers greater access to products that make their life better. We also are seeing a real demand from consumers for on-pack communication that is authentic, not overwhelming.”
2016 DuPont Awards for Packaging Innovation Winners (Click here for complete descriptions, list of collaborations and images.)
- ThermaSet Blow Molded PET Container for hot fill, pasteurized food (Graham Packaging, USA)
- Daisy Squeeze-Flexible Squeeze Pouch for Daisy brand sour cream (Aptar Food + Beverage, USA);
- Lightweight 18.0 g & 12.0 g Square-Shaped Edible Oil Bottle & 1 g Cap (Adani Wilmar, Ltd., India);
- TeaBrewer/CoffeeBrewer – premium whole leaf tea/coffee brewing system (Coffeebrewer Nordic A/S, Denmark);
- Printed Coldform for Doril Enxaqueca medicine (Bemis Latin America, Brazil);
- Method Liquid Laundry Detergent 53-ounce PET post-consumer recycled bottle (Amcor Rigid Plastics, USA);
- NIKE Inflatables 2015/2016 Packaging Redesign (OIA Global, USA).
LEADERSHIP IN INNOVATION AWARD
- MGI 3D Digital Package Decoration Process (MGI, USA).
- Water-Based Retortable Sauce Pack (Pulmuone Co., Ltd., Korea);
- SYNEK Beer Cartridge Pouch (Mondi Jackson, USA);
- Formpack Ultra blister packaging (Amcor Flexibles, Germany);
- Never Miss a Spot Technology, extended wand sunscreen applicator (PHD Skincare, USA);
- Rust-Oleum SpraySmart Marking Paint Pouch (Printpack, USA).
- Christmas Bow Label (Coca Cola, Belgium);
- Next Generation Spice Paste Tube (House Foods Group Inc., Japan);
- Sani-Stak Take-Out Container (Go To Containers, USA);
- Tetra Rex Bio-Based Fully Renewable Chilled Carton (TetraPak, Italy);
- PhutureMed – Advanced Packaging Solution for Pharmaceuticals (Palladio Group, Italy);
- Transparent DuPont Surlyn Tube (COTY, Brazil);
- Klearfold Keeper Package – Enigma USB Hardware Encryption & Decryption Device (HLP Klearfold, USA);
- Korrvu Lok – Performance Packaging for eCommerce (Sealed Air, USA);
- Prestone Stop Leak Product Line (TricorBraun, USA).
DuPont Performance Materials (DPM) is a leading innovator of thermoplastics, elastomers, renewably sourced polymers, high-performance parts and shapes, as well as resins that act as adhesives, sealants, and modifiers. DPM supports a globally linked network of regional application development experts who work with customers throughout the value chain to develop innovative solutions in automotive, packaging, construction, consumer goods, electrical/electronics and other industries. For additional information about DuPont Packaging Awards, visit www.packagingawards.dupont.com.
DuPont has been bringing world-class science and engineering to the global marketplace in the form of innovative products, materials, and services since 1802. The company believes that by collaborating with customers, governments, NGOs, and thought leaders it can help find solutions to such global challenges as providing enough healthy food for people everywhere, decreasing dependence on fossil fuels, and protecting life and the environment. For additional information about DuPont and its commitment to inclusive innovation, visit www.dupont.com.